Uneconomic parcels are those that are not able to be developed independently of other parcels and are normally only valuable to the adjacent landowner(s) due to size, topography or access issues. Road sections that have been abandoned due to road relocation or realignment are also considered uneconomic parcels.
Please complete the Request for Services Form and return it to the Property Management office for processing. Please provide detailed information to better assist our office in determining the exact location of the property of interest. The mailing address is SCDOT, ATTN: Property Management, Post Office Box 191, Columbia, SC 29202-0191 and the fax number is (803) 737-1403.
Process of evaluating requests:
- A written request is received for the property.
- The property is researched, new right of way limits are determined, and a packet is prepared to be sent to the appropriate engineering sections for recommendations.
- SCDOT has five different engineering sections that review the packet, considering future needs that SCDOT may have for the property and submit their recommendations as to whether to retain or sell the property.
- If all five engineering sections are in concurrence to sell the property, the request is submitted to the SCDOT Commission for approval to convey.
- The value of a parcel is determined by either an appraisal, sales of comparable parcels in the area, and/or tax assessment values.
- Results of the review process and value are presented to requestor.
* All requests are processed in the order that they are received.